Saturday, May 26, 2012

Open House and Dancing Saya

Today was my final day volunteering in my three-month position as an English teacher at the Hernán Malo González school in my host community, Yaruquí, Ecuador.  Today was a particularly special day, as it was the school´s open house.  We took over the entire square, setting up a tent for each class in the school.  All of the classes had a specific theme, presenting the material they were learning to the parents of both present and future students.

Entering the fair. 

A first year student presenting a science experiment.  The entire class was dressed up in absurd wigs and lab coats, looking adorable as ever.

Some of the mothers cooking up a delicious lunch for the visitors.  This type of lunch, based off a giant roast pig, is very common in Ecuador.

The chonchito enjoying a slightly rough back massage after a trip to the tanning bed.

Here is a type of bean which is popular for soups- habas.  It was dried out in the oven to the point of becoming very hard; this was a way indigenous prepared the beans. 

Third year students, at the class´s geography display.

More third years.

A couple of pre-kinder kids, Ecuador´s version of kindergarden.

Just like from the movies! The fourth years presented the planets.

A sixth year and his science experiment.

Some of the seventh year girls.  Their theme was the indigenous people of the jungle region of Ecuador.  Their clothing represents the traditional clothing for dance.

Some indigenous preparations of the root ¨yuca¨, similiar to a potato.  It is often used in soups, but also eaten plain.  The indigenous have a fermented yuca drink, which I cannot say I am a fan of.

The fifth years chose recylcing as their theme.

They sold their recycled creations, some of which were pretty impressive!  They also wore clothing they made out of recycled materials.  Quite innovative.

Some of the creations for sale.

Nursery kids!  On the left is my neighbour Bianca, I will miss her so much!

Tostadas! Or toasted cornnuts as well call them in Canada.  Absolutely delicious.

A student stops for a snack break.


My co-teachers and I focused on animals, as it is a simple enough topic for the students to present, and the parents with limited to no English knowledge to enjoy.  After the children presented, we provided snacks that were created from what the animals ¨gave¨, such as milk, yogurt, cheese and ice-cream for the cow, and ham for the pig (slightly morbid for the pig).

A small portion of out spread... my co-teacher did an amazing job of making the open house successful.

Another portion...

The students presented songs about animals, including ¨Old MacDonald¨,  ¨Bingo¨, ¨Jungle Boogie¨ and one other that I cannot remember.

They had posters specially made for the open house.  Slightly entertained that they neglected to translate some of the dinosaurs´ names into English.  Also, confused about the presence of a rhino.

All of the exhibits went very well, overall a very successful event.  After resting at home for a few hours, we returned to the school to prepare for ¨Dancing Saya¨, a type of traditional Ecuadorian dance.  It took us over an hour just to get dressed; the traditional clothing is quite intricate with many layers that greatly restrict respiration and movement.  We the proceeded to walk a ways up and then down a mountain, parading through the town as a massive group.

Following, we parraded around the centre of town, spent a few hours in the square, completing the night with our final dance, involving weaving colourful ribbons around a tall pole in an aesthetic manner.  It is quite fun to do, though challenging and complicated.  I was so lucky to be a part of this important event.  This really defines the ideals of ¨experiential learning¨, where I am not just learning about traditional dance through a computer screen or sitting in a classroom.  It was so rewarding to experience it first hand and be a part of something so special.  Overall, a very successful day, full of unique and incredible experiences I will bring back to Canada with me.

Me in my traditional garb!  It consists of about four layers of skirts, and causes extreme difficulty breathing, but was so much fun to wear.

Some beautiful colours debuted as mothers and children participated in the parade.  On the left is my neighbour, the mother of the neighbour I mentioned above.  I will miss her a lot too.

Teacher Hector rocks a traditional mask as part of his dance costume.

Teacher Paulita ready for the dance.

Teacher Erika, who I work with three days a week.  She has been such a great person to work with, and has ended up being my own teacher a lot of the time!  She will be greatly missed.

(Almost) all the teachers.  They have made my stay here incredible, welcoming me and making me feel at home.

A few of my students join me in the square.

Some first years come to celebrate with us.

Here I am in action!  Teacher Guillermo, the other English teacher that I work with, is in the background.  He has also taught me so much while being here.  There are so many people I will miss from here!

Preparing for the best part...

And here we are, for the finale of the night.  We each took a ribbon, spread out, and weaved them intricately in a beautiful dance of colours.  

Teacher Rosita and Teacher Erika.

It is hard to capture the beauty and intricacy of the dance in a photo!

Teacher Guillermo and Teacher Hector, the only full-time male teachers at the school, keep our dance supported!

Concentrated, but having a great time.

And we bow at the end!


No comments:

Post a Comment