Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A few things...

I have not been able to write a blog in a short while, so I will have to sum up a few things all in one.

Firstly, I will begin with football at my school.  By football, of course I mean soccer... I am in South America, what else?  I thought it would be just another typical school day, until I arrived an many of the girls were in cheerleader uniforms.  Later, my co-teacher informed me that I would be going with the students to watch them play soccer.  There were four school involved, and two games were played. I was surprised by how much of an event it was.  We travelled to the top of a street where the schools all line up in a parade-like fashion, and we made our way to the local coliseum to the beat of another school´s marching band.

When we arrived, there were some words from various teachers and also the school´s student representatives, who dressed up like beauty pageant girls.  Finally, there were two games played in total.  Ours was the final game, which was very tight throughout.  The two teams fought for the lead, constantly flipping the leader.  In the end, we lost a hard battle, but the intensity never faltered. 

Students on the way to the coliseum.


Hernán Malo Gonzalez (my school) cheerleaders in a row!

Another school´s marching band.  They were quite good considering how young the students were!

HMG cheerleaders in action.




Our soccer players celebrating a fantastic goal.

Here is one of our goalies, he had an awesome kick.

 HMG fans to support!

 Our student representative.

 Next, I will share the market of my town, Yaruquí.  Markets are one of my favourite settings to take photos of- they are always colourful, lively, and there is never shortage of subjects.  I went with my Abuelita to pick up some bananas for the pancakes I would be making for breakfast that morning, and I got the chance to explore a bit while she searched for the other items she needed.  I was surprised to find that when we arrived there at seven in the morning on a Saturday, the market was already completely adorned with salespeople and their goods.
Some of the beautiful colours found in the market.





I still can´t decide if bananas are a popular food here or not…


Little prepared food stands outline the perimeter of the market, cooking delicious food that fills my nose with tempting aromas.

 Abuelita (right) and our neighbour pickout out their produce.


 


 Here is the portion of the market that vegetarians should avoid.  Every part of the animal carcas can be found and purchased here.

The market also sells other goods such as preserved foods, clothing, electronics, hair accessories and disposable place settings.


Lastly, I must show the greatest little fiesta I have ever been to.  It was Hello Kitty themed.  I don´t just mean a Hello Kitty cake.  I mean, EVERTYHING was Hello Kitty.  I was so excited!  Okay so this birthday was for a four year old, the host sister of one of my Canadian friends, but I would totally have the same party for my nineteenth birthday!

Some Hello Kitty decorations.




The amazing Hello Kitty cake baked by the aunt of the birthday girl.


This clown came to the party, and just appeared to make the children look silly.  We thoroughly critiqued 
her performance, out loud, hoping she didn´t understand English.

Piñata!

The family´s adorable German Shepherd puppy, Max.

Family and friends of the birthday girl.

And here is an orange banana that I bought on the way to the party.  Not to my surprise, it tasted exactly like a normal banana.













No comments:

Post a Comment