Wednesday, May 30, 2012

HMG Farewell


Yesterday proved to be a very humbling day as I returned to my school for the last time to say goodbye.  Expecting just the opportunity to take some photos, share a few hugs, and maybe pick up a couple of cards, I was greatly surprised to be welcomed by beautiful decorations and an assembly dedicated to me.  After taking photos with every class in the school, all of the upper year students, teachers and myself gathered in the main courtyard.  Each class did their own performance for me, sharing songs, dances, poems and more.  It was so warming to be valued and appreciated so much somewhere.  

I must have recieved about fifty cards or more from my students, each with words of ¨thank you for teaching me English¨, ¨safe travels¨ and the like.  Some were in broken English, while some were in Spanish.  Though I managed to keep tears back, it was difficult.  At the end, I said a few words, though I do not know how well they were said since I was speaking Spanish on the spot, with two hundred people staring intently at me!  So now it is my turn to say thank you to Escuela Hernán Malo González! I have had an incredible time here.  While I teach the students English, they teach me everyday about Ecuador, Spanish, kindness and so much more. 
















After the assembly, the teachers and I all took a trip on the bus to Tumbaco, for a goodbye lunch.  It was all seafood, particularly ¨cebiche¨, a popular chilled seafood soup.  I got the ¨sopa marinara¨, a warm seafood soup.  It was so delicious!  It also came with ¨patacones¨, pictured below.  They are made by frying plantains, twice, smashing them in between.  Deliciuos!


All of the teachers and I, with the exception of Teacher Verito, and Teacher Erika, who I worked with the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment